Skip to main content

The Sentiments Behind Rasgolla.

Festivals are for rejoicing the relationship of our friends, relatives and professional associates. Gifts are mediums for expressing the love, affection and fellowship. It is customary in India to gift sweet boxes and make people around happy during festivals like Deepavali.

I have a practice of offering Rasgolla tins to all my employees and close relatives every Deepavali. I like the taste and rationally evaluated Rasgolla as the best sweet available based on so many considerations. Some dislike the taste of this sweet and when they receive a tin from me as Deepavali gift, force a smile and murmur a life less “Thank You”.

But there is a group of people who like Rasgolla like me. They wait for their turn and beam a smile that nullifies the hostile effect of the earlier group. Each one has his or her story behind this. When they go home the day before Deepavali, the family members some times even elderly people used to eagerly ask whether Rasgolla has come. Uncles and aunties after greeting over phone never miss to enquire about Rasgolla. Just like crackers and new clothes, Rasgolla has earned a position in their homes.

Everything seemed to go smooth. Suddenly one of my employees suggested me to change the sweet for something else. It was told to me that the Rasgolla is not used in their home since no one likes it and so they give to someone else. A few more also joined the objecting person and persuaded for a change. They substantiated with a different sentiment that they are not able to have what is being given by me -their leader.

I could not think of a different sweet. There are hundreds of sweets but all suffered from a disadvantage of a very short shelf life. The consistency in quality is another factor. Some times ago, for another festival I tried to give some other sweet. I selected a highly reputed outlet. These outlets are reputed but very conventional in their approach. They keep the customer waiting till they take out the sweets from the tray, weigh them and pack them. There used to be so many inefficient movements of the sales person and the customer's time is wasted. These outlets are in crowded places and one can never take a car near the outlets. When the requirement is more no. of packets the time is just massacred. There could be variation in quality because some quantity from the older stock can get mixed. The person receiving the old stock promptly informs the poor quality the very next morning.

Because the shelf life is less, one may have to consume the sweets within a day or two. For a day like Deepavali when there will be multiple sweet packet gifts, such loosely packed sweets may get wasted or given away to servant maids.

Rasgolla tins do not have any of these disadvantages. Rasgolla has added advantages like squeezing out the sugar syrup to suite to individual taste, almost looks like oil free,the colour is bright white, the packing is hygienic, some kind of quality assurance seal is there on the pack and a person like me proudly gifts this holding in mind that I am gifting the best that money could buy in terms of user- friendly calorific value sweets.

My business operation requires me to be 50% democratic. I cannot just ignore the sentiments of the group that dislike Rasgolla. I have to be assertive and should not deny the joy for those who relish the Rasgolla. I should honour my own taste and rational considerations. So I made the gift to contain one pack of Rasgolla and one pack of Gulab Jamun. So the democratic sentiments are protected.....I assumed.

The game of leadership appears to be highly creative, challenging and demanding out-of-the box thinking, even with respect to sentiments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naturopathy camp

(All places referred in this article are in Tamilnadu, India)   In spite of being cautious with respect to food and exercise, I see a drastic increase in my weight these days and I was not sure whether I am all that healthy. Most of the days when I am in my home town, I fondly do surya namaskar asana, yoga asana and pranayama. I am aware of meditation also but do not practice it for fear of losing the aggressive attitude that is very much required for my business these days. Contentment may result in complacence and a leader today cannot be contended for he is required to run in the front so that his team will follow. The next generation has more challenges and we cannot be teaching contentment to them because of ruthless society that has been formed.  I wanted to understand what is wrong with my habits and more about healthier living. Some of my acquaintances had gone to Aravind Ashram, Rajapalayam for a training in naturopathy and yoga and I also made up my mind to take u

Worshiping Sree Krishna

Some perceive Sree Krishna as the God, some adore him for he condensed the essence of Vedas and dedicated them through Baghavat Geeta, some try to establish that he is the Avatar of Perumal the Hindu God and thus tactfully restrict his great work only to the so called Vaishnavas a sect in Hinduism. Some one wanted to release Sree Krishna’s works from Vaishnavas and formed International Society For Krishna Consciousness(ISKON). We have to; in a way appreciate the work of ISKON without which I would not have had the opportunity to buy Baghavat Geeta. I bought this book from a guy who came to my door steps and solemnly pleaded that I take a copy for Rs.100/-. The only thought at that time was to just buy this book since I was taught in school that Bagavath Geeta is the holy book of Hindus. Since I was born as Hindu I thought at least I should read once what has been said in the holy book. I had completed two courses in Bible during my school days. There were also some portions of Ra

The beliefs that drive people( For those who are interested in “Why')

April 24,2012 was celebrated as Akshaya Thrithiyai a festival recently rediscovered to buy gold. It all started five years ago when a smart jeweler in our town caught hold of a so called Prohit to sow a belief that will boost his sales. A Prohit is a person who projects himself to have great knowledge of Hindu rituals and dresses him self in distinctly peculiar ways, fore head shaved and the hair left to grow long on the back is tied in a knot. They wear some religious marks on the temple either three horizontal bands of holy ash or a white U or Y mark having a red line in the middle. Just as one does not question an automobile mechanic, people in India do not question these Prohits also. It is understood that there are some Veda Schools that teach the authentic techniques for the popular rituals and the Vedic rhymes that are to be chanted as mantras during the rituals. But most of these Prohits do not study there. They gain the knowledge of these mantras from some senior Prohit. Th